Key Contacts at AISNSW

You can reach AISNSW between business hours on (02) 9299 2845.

Student Services

Workplace Management

Lisa Ridings
Associate Chief Executive: Student Services

For advice and support concerning wellbeing, individual student plans and students with diverse needs please contact Lisa Ridings.

Cathy Lovell
Associate Chief Executive: School Operations and Governance

For advice and support concerning work health and safety, employment relations and workplace management please contact Cathy Lovell.



Pamela Hatfield
Head of Communications

For advice and support concerning media enquiries or website information please contact Pamela Hatfield.

Maurice Cummins
Chief Information Officer

For advice and support concerning ICT please contact Maurice Cummins.

Information for schools impacted by natural disasters in NSW
Frequently Asked Questions 

Student Support 

Where can I get resources to support my students when they return to school? 

Advice on how to support students is available at the following links. AISNSW can assist independent schools across the state to become familiar with and/or implement these comprehensive resources by providing no-cost consultancy support.

As a parent/carer, who can I speak with about my child’s circumstance to gain relevant counselling support? 

If students would like to speak to someone anonymously or before school starts back, they can contact: 

How do I help other parents/students in my schools should they need assistance?  

Some families may need help, others not. So, to avoid any misunderstanding, it is suggested that any parent/carer who wishes to help other families connect with their principals for a sensitive, coordinated approach.

Will counselling support be provided for staff and students impacted by a natural disaster?

The Australian Government has funded Beyond Blue liaison officers to support schools directly affected by natural disasters

If students would like to speak to someone anonymously or before school starts back, they can contact: 

Where can we get extra help? 

  • Parent Helpline 1300 1300 52 
  • Kids Helpline  1800 55 1800 
  • headspace: 1800 650 890 
  • Mensline 1300 789 978 
  • Your doctor 
  • Local community health centre 

Back to School  

Who will contact me if my school is not operational? 

Independent schools know and understand their community and the area in which it is located. Your school will be in close contact with State Emergency Services and the RFS and will notify you of any decisions in response to an emergency situation. 

Each school will notify AISNSW if their school is non-operational due to adverse weather conditions, bushfire activity, emergencies or other incidents.  

School Operations 

How can I check if transport is available for students to get to school? 

Please contact Transport NSW on 131 500 or visit their website for School Travel.

Alternatively, you can contact your local public transport bus service operator which can be found on the above website for your area. 

How should I record student absence as a result of bushfires or flood?

If your school was closed due to bushfire or flooding, you do not need to mark the roll and should note on the attendance register that the school was closed for the day(s) in the same way that you would record any other day that students are not required to be in attendance such as a staff development day. The day(s) that the school was closed are not counted in attendance calculations. If the school is open but some students did not attend because they were directed by authorities not to (for example, to evacuate or stay at home), you should mark the reason for their absence as a variation to attendance using the ‘F’ code for flexible as the students were not required to attend. If the school is open but some students did not attend because they were unable to attend as a result of the bushfire or flooding (for example, due to closed roads), you should mark the reason for their absence as leave using the ‘L’ code for flexible due to misadventure preventing the student from attend. For further advice about recording attendance contact Caraline Cloke – Head, Regulations and Accreditation

Will my students on assisted transport be able to be transported to school from start of term 1? 

Please contact Assisted Student Travel Program on telephone 1300 338 278 or email if you have any specific enquiries regarding a service or a student.  

How do I access support if my NDIS disability support providers are impacted by the bushfire situation? 

NDIS participants impacted by the bushfires are prioritised to ensure they continue to receive their disability related supports. Contact NDIS 1800 800 110 to discuss your situation. 

I am concerned about student health and the bushfire smoke, where can I get information? 

Visit NSW bushfires for health information on how to prepare, respond to and recover from the current NSW bushfires and high temperatures. Includes advice on checking air quality levels, reducing exposure to bushfire smoke, managing medications, and returning home safely.

I work in/operate an Early Childhood Education Centre. What is the advice from the NSW Department of Education on operating? 

Any questions about the closure of an early childhood education service should be referred to the Early Childhood Education Directorate on 1800 619 113 or via email at from 7am to 7pm.

How should I manage contact from local media? 

All queries should be directed to the school Principal or their delegate. The AISNSW Media and Communications Office can assist.