Exemptions from Attendance and Enrolment
Delegations by the NSW Minister for Education
Independent school principals have the authority to approve or cancel exemptions from enrolment and exemption from attendance for students on behalf of the NSW Minister for Education.
Exemptions from enrolment delegations
Principals of independent schools have been delegated the authority to grant or cancel the following exemptions on behalf of the NSW Minister for Education:
- Age, where a child turns six years on or after 1 October or later in a school year
- Health, learning or social needs or disability of a child necessitating the continuation of an individual program supported by medical specialists not longer than six months after the child’s sixth birthday
- Special Circumstances – for apprenticeships and traineeships only.
Exemptions from attendance delegations
Principals of independent schools have been delegated the authority to grant or cancel exemptions from attendance for 100 days or more for students in the following circumstances on behalf of the NSW Minister for Education:
- Engagement in approved entertainment industry activities
- Participation in elite arts or elite sporting events
- Exceptional circumstances (including the health of the student where sick leave or alternative enrolment is not appropriate).
Exemptions from attendance can be approved for part or whole days. They can be approved for individual days or for multiple consecutive days for a defined period of time. Principals have the authority to grant exemptions from attendance for periods of up to 100 days or more than 100 days.
Independent school principals can assess and subsequently approve or deny any application for any of the above exemptions within their school and do not require external approval.
Independent schools are encouraged to review and update their policy and procedures for exemptions from enrolment and attendance. Member schools can access a gap analysis tool to support a review of their current exemption policy and procedural documentation.
Guidelines for exemptions from attendance and enrolment for independent schools
Details of the conditions for which an exemption may be granted and the delegations for granting exemptions are outlined in the Guidelines for exemptions from attendance and enrolment for independent schools available in the AISNSW Resource Centre.
Parents/carers are required to make an application for exemption to the school in advance of the period sought, with the exception of an exemption under the Public Health Order where no application is required.
Exemptions cannot be applied for the reason of travel.
Exemption from attendance